Tag Archives: CAS

Leicester turns to CAS after appeal to FIFA over Adrien Silva fails

Published by:

Leicester City are considering going to the court of arbitration for sport (CAS) to plead their case after FIFA turned down their appeals to legitimise Adrien Silva’s registration.

The Foxes’ appeal to to secure the registration of Portugal midfielder Silva was rejected by world football’s governing body on Wednesday morning, after Leicester and the Football Association had asked to ratify the transfer as the paperwork for Silva’s £22m deadline day move from Sporting Lisbon had been declared to have been submitted 14 seconds late.

Instead of opting to make an exception with the slight delay, FIFA withheld the International Transfer Certificate, as the data input into its Transfer Matching System was received by the FA moments after the deadline.

After the world governing body also refused appeals to the case, Silva will remain registered to play for Leicester until January. It also leaves him in limbo, being unable to train with Leicester and having been left out of Portugal’s squad for their final World Cup qualifiers against Andorra and Switzerland this month. – Cara Daftar Sbobet

A Leicester spokesman said: “The Foxes’ appeal to to secure the registration of Portugal midfielder Silva was rejected by world football’s governing body on Wednesday morning.”

“We cannot hide our disappointment or that of the player at the short-term consequences of the decision. Leicester City are considering going to the court of arbitration for sport over the signing of Adrien Silva.”

“We maintain, and have made strong representations to the Players’ Status Committee, that all parties involved in Adrien’s transfer fulfilled their obligations, consistent with regulations and within the required timeframe. The club is reserving its position in relation to whether it will decide to appeal the decision to the court of arbitration for sport.”

“The club and its staff will continue to work with Adrien to hopefully minimise the impact that missing a substantial period of the season may have on the player, while continuing to prepare the squad for the games ahead.”

Atletico Madrid fails in CAS appeal for transfer ban

Published by:

Atletico Madrid has failed in their appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to withdraw the transfer ban imposed upon the club.

Atletico stated officially that the CAS ruling was “unfair” and causes “irreparable damage to the club”, adding that the decision amounts to “comparative disadvantage and discriminatory treatment” of the club.

They will only be allowed to register new players again from 1 January 2018.

The ruling had meant that the second runners-up in La Liga will remain banned from signing new players this summer transfer windows, although the CAS reduced their fine from 900,000 Swiss Francs (£719,793) to 550,000 (£439,873).

The ban was placed upon both Madrid clubs for breaching FIFA rules over the signing of minors, although Real had their transfer ban cut short by one window in December last year.

FIFA had begun the investigations against both clubs concerning players aged under 18 who played in competitions for Atletico between 2007 and 2014, and Real from 2005-2014, and while the world governing body initially ruled on the case in January 2016, both clubs were able to sign players last summer after appealing against the decision to FIFA.

Nonetheless, Atletico claimed that they have “full confidence” in their current squad and were determined to continue “competing at the same level next season”, having finished behind Real and Barcelona in La Liga this season.

Additionally, CAS’s decision was due to be released on Wednesday but was delayed until Thursday, which Altetico said showed a “lack of respect” to the club.

Real Madrid transfer ban sentence reduced by CAS

Published by:

The transfer ban FIFA imposed on Real Madrid had been reduced to one transfer window following an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

The Spanish giants, alongside city rivals Atletico Madrid, had both been restricted from signing players for two transfer windows by the football governing body FIFA.

While Real would remain banned from registering new players this January despite the new ruling, they will be able to make signings next summer.

The club also had their fine reduced from 360,000 Swiss francs to Sfr 240,000.

FIFA made the ruling following investigations into players aged under 18 who played in competitions for Atletico between 2007 and 2014, and Real from 2005-2014. Both Real and fellow Spanish side Atletico Madrid were found to have been breaching rules over the transfer of foreign players under the age of 18.

In a statement on their official website, Real said: “The decision highlights the injustice of the original ban imposed by FIFA, although the club regrets that the CAS lacked the courage to revoke the ruling entirely.”

Meanwhile, there has been yet to be development regarding Atletico’s own appeal against their ban and fine.

FIFA initially ruled on the case in January, but the appeals meant both Real and Atletico could sign players last summer.

Atletico Madrid agrees to transfer ban amidst CAS appeal

Published by:

Atletico Madrid has agreed to not sign players in the January transfer while they fight a FIFA transfer ban at the highest court.

FIFA imposed one-year sanctions on Atletico and city rivals Real Madrid for signing underage players, which was in violation of transfer rules.

Diego Simeon’s club has since petitioned for the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to intervene, but also agreed to waive their right to suspend the ban for next January’s window while waiting for the case to be heard

In a joint statement between FIFA and the Madrid club, it was revealed that a timetable for the CAS has been agreed upon in order to give a final ruling.

The statement read: “In the appeal proceedings before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in relation to the decision notified by the FIFA Appeal Committee on 8 September 2016 imposing inter alia a transfer ban on Atletico Madrid, both parties have agreed on a procedural calendar in order to allow the CAS to render a final reasoned award by 1 June 2017.”

“Atletico Madrid waived its right to seek suspensive effect of the appeal for the next winter transfer period following its initial request for the proceedings to be concluded by the first semester of 2017 and FIFA’s subsequent request for said waiver.”

“Even though Atletico Madrid completely maintains its position that the transfer ban is unjustified, it has decided to waive its right to seek suspensive effect for the next winter transfer period so as to ensure a procedural calendar that allows Atletico Madrid to fully present its case, while giving the panel sufficient time to thoroughly review all documents, consider all arguments and finalise the reasons before rendering its award.”

“Due to the confidentiality of the proceedings, the parties will not make any further comments on the arbitration prior to the final award being rendered.”

In the meantime, with an appeal to FIFA in the summer transfer window, Atletico had managed to sign several players including French forward Kevin Gameiro and Argentinian midfielder Nicolas Gaitan, while Real Madrid also bought Alvaro Morata back from Juventus.