Tag Archives: Atletico Madrid

Atletico Madrid reports FC Barcelona to FIFA over Griezmann approach

Published by:

La Liga club Atletico Madrid have reported their domestic title rivals FC Barcelona to FIFA for making an illegal approach for their French forward Antoine Griezmann.

Griezmann, 26, who signed a contract with Atletico in the summer lasting until 2021 to ward off interest from numerous suitors such as Manchester United amidst a transfer embargo placed against the Madrid club.

However, he became the subject of increased speculation over recent days after Barca’s director of institutional relations hinted it was “possible” that the club’s president, Josep Maria Bartomeu, had held talks with the 26-year-old’s family.

This goes in direct violation against FIFA rules, which say that a team interested in signing a player must first make contact with his club before being allowed to hold negotiations, with Atletico therefore taking the case towards the world governing body.

“Atlético Madrid have reported Barcelona for repeated contact with Griezmann and his people, contact which we are aware of,” a spokesman for Atletico told Mundo Deportivo. “He is a player with a contract with Atlético Madrid and a long contract at that.”

A FIFA spokesman has confirmed that the complaint had been received.

Griezmann has a release clause in his contract set at €100m (£88.4m) but a report last week suggested that Barca’s technical director Roberto Fernandez having already held talks with the Frenchman’s entourage, with Guillermo Amor later admitting the club are interested in signing him.

“If that’s what the newspaper said, it’s possible …” Amor told Movistar+. “Maybe there’s been a meeting and things have advanced, although I don’t know. Rumours are inevitable in football.”

“In the case of Griezmann, there are a lot of players we could be talking with, initiating some kind of relationship if there’s an opportunity. We’re obliged to have contact with players. It’s something which is done.”

Premier League champions Chelsea humiliated at Roma

Published by:

Premier League champions Chelsea were humiliated at Roma as the Serie A runners-up earned a comprehensive 3-0 victory.

Roma’s rout had begun in just 39 seconds, with their first goal immediately following an attack on the other end. Pedro had shot weakly at Alisson Becker, allowing Roma to clear with the ball lobbed long to to Edin Dzeko, who knocked it down to the edge of the Chelsea box for Stephan El Shaarawy to catch it on the half volley and sent the ball fizzing into the corner.

Antonio Rudiger, on his return to his former club gifted them their second as he through to Thibaut Courtois, while Stephan El Shaarawy sprinted between the two players and slotted home clinically for his second.

While Chelsea continued to challenge Becker through attempts from Eden Hazard and Alvaro Morata but failed to make a breakthrough.

Their defensive frailties was subsequently exploited for a third time as Cesc Fabregas gives the ball away outside his own penalty area, allowing Diego Perotti a shoot from the edge of the area that into left-hand corner past the Courtois.

Roma should have got their fourth when Chelsea’s defenders all ran to Dzeko, who managed to square to a totally unmarked Perotti, but he fired over when he should have finished.

The Blues were hugely fortunate that Atletico Madrid failed to beat Qarabag, allowing them an easier chance to qualify.

They currently four points above third-placed Atletico — and a win in their next Champions League game at Qarabag will take them through.

As for Roma, a team currently fifth in Serie A, now lead the group by a point.

Diego Simeone praises Lionel Messi after La Liga draw

Published by:

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has showered praise upon FC Barcelona’s Lionel Messi after the forward starred in a draw with Atletico Madrid on Saturday.

Although Saul Niguez and Luis Suarez were on the scoresheet as Atletico Madrid took on Barca in the 1-1 draw, Messi had great influence in the game — first striking the post in the second half and then playing a role in building Barca’s momentum ahead of Suarez’s late equaliser after Saul unleashed an unstoppable attempt beyond him from 25 yards in the 21st minute.

After the game, Simeone singled out his compatriot — who also fired Argentina to the 2018 World Cup with a hat-trick against Ecuador earlier — for particular praise as he revelled in the occasion at Wanda Metropolitano.

“The stadium was wonderful, we had another night of brilliant football, and with the impressive Messi — extraordinary,” Simeone said. “Messi was the only one who you could see where, every time he touched the ball, something different could happen.”

“He was certainly not as tired as many expected after the trip [from international duty in South America] because he played a tremendous match.”

Meanwhile, French forward Antoine Griezmann failed to find the net at the Wanda for the first time for Atleti, but Simeone believed this was his best performance at the stadium yet.

Indeed, Griezmann had to be denied twice by Barca keeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen, first by a fine one-handed save at his near post after Andrés Iniesta gave away the ball again, this time with his left leg, after the Frenchman had driven into the box by nutmegging Gerard Pique.

“For me, this was the best game that Griezmann has had at home,” he said. “He twice worked the goalkeeper, he countered with [Angel] Correa and he held the ball up well.”

“It was a great game between two teams with different characteristics. Our first half was very good, the goalkeeper [ter Stegen] was key. From the 60th minute, Barca attacked with more clarity due to their need to score.”

Diego Costa completes return move to Atletico Madrid

Published by:

Chelsea striker Diego Costa has completed his £57m move to Atletico Madrid on Tuesday night.

Both Chelsea and the Spanish giants had agreed on terms last week, with the 28-year-old Spanish international having also passed his medical on Monday.

However, he will not feature in the Champions League game between Chelsea and Atletico as he cannot be registered to play for the La Liga side until 1 January, when the club’s transfer window ban comes to an end.

The Brazil-born striker is expected to be at the stadium on Wednesday having attended the weekend league victory against Sevilla, and Blues coach Antonio Conte was asked about his strained relationship with the player. – Cara Daftar Sbobet

While Costa won two Premier League titles and the League Cup with Chelsea, he found himself exiled at Stamford Bridge over the summer after a dispute with a fitness coach which had followed reports of an offer from China that would have been worth £30m a year in salary. Additionally, he was informed via text message by Conte himself that he was not needed in the manager’s plans for this season and he spent much of August in his native Brazil.

“As I said before, I have no problem with Diego Costa,” the Italian said. “I said that we wish, for him, the best for the future. We want to thank him for the last season. But, I repeat, I have no problem with him.”

Meanwhile, Belgian midfielder Eden Hazard, who is yet to start in the Premier League this season after recovering from a broken ankle he suffered in June could feature for Chelsea in the game. Hazard came off the bench against Leicester, Arsenal and Stoke this month and Conte is keen for him to exert his influence on the Champions League.

“Last season Eden played a really important season, played very well and he was very important for us in winning the league,” said the Blues manager. “Last season, he showed in every game great talent, to be a really good player, a top player.”

“This competition is very important for him, but I think it’s important for the team. It brings you to another level.”

“I think he (Hazard) has all the possibilities to do this. He’s a really top player. Now he’s totally fit and in contention for Wednesday’s game. I think it’s the right moment.”