Tag Archives: Ajax Amsterdam

Ajax’s Abdelhak Nouri suffered brain damage after collapse

Published by:

Ajax midfielder Abdelhak Nouri has suffered serious and permanent brain damage after collapsing during a friendly, the club have officially announced.

Nouri, 20, required emergency treatment from paramedics on the field and then was airlifted to hospital after collapsing with around 20 minutes remaining against Werder Bremen in Zillertal, Austria, on Saturday.

On Monday, the club had said tests showed his “heart is functioning normally” and brain scans did not detect “any anomalies” — but new tests revealed the extent of the damage.

“Ajax are deeply saddened by the news that Appie Nouri has been diagnosed with serious and permanent brain damage,” the club wrote on Twitter. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to him and his loved ones in this difficult time.”

Nouri will be transferred to a hospital in Amsterdam for further care.

The club statement added that the chances of recovery from the damage is nil, and that “the diagnosis was made that a lot of [his] brain is not functioning. All this probably occurred due to a lack of oxygen supply.”

Nouri had made 15 appearances for Ajax’s first team last season, including three in the Europa League, and scored on his senior debut in a 5-0 win against Willem II in the KNVB-Beker.

Ajax CEO Edwin van der Sar told the club’s website: “This is the worst possible news. It’s terrible. We feel enormously for his parents, siblings and other relatives.”

“The blow is also hard for Ajax, although we knew we might have to consider this scenario. These have been uncertain days, and lots of people in different way have sympathised with his situation. That is greatly appreciated.”

“Abdelhak has such great talent, but unfortunately we will never know how far his star would have reached if this had not happened to him.”

Peter Bosz leaves Ajax to manage Borussia Dortmund

Published by:

Borussia Dortmund have appointed Peter Bosz as their new boss following their parting of ways with Thomas Tuchel days after their DFB-Pokal win.

Bosz, 53, led Ajax to the Europa League final in his only season in charge of the Netherlands club. It was their first European final in 21 years, but he has now signed a two-year deal to replace Tuchel at the helm of the Bundesliga second runners-up.

He was previously under contract with Ajax until 2019. Dortmund have accordingly agreed to provide a compensation package to secure his services.

Ajax confirmed on their official website that an agreement had been reached with Dortmund.

Their general manager, Edwin van der Sar, who also happened to play for Manchester United, described it as a “good deal”. “I have mixed feelings about this move. When we brought Peter to Ajax last summer it was not the intention that the partnership would end after one year.”

“(But) we have had a great season, especially in the Europa League. As with our players, the coach also attracts the attention of clubs from Europe’s top leagues.”

“We have had a great season, especially in the Europa League. As with our players, the coach also attracts the attention of clubs from Europe’s top leagues.”

“These talks convinced me that this ought to be the next step for me,” Bosz said at a press conference on Tuesday, revealing he had spoken with Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke and the club’s sporting director Michael Zorc for around three hours. “I got a good feeling. It was a respectful discussion. I am convinced that we can work very well together.”

“We had a very, very good feeling about Bosz from the outset, the feeling that something can really grow together here,” Watzke added.

Manchester United: Europa League winners to limit summer signings

Published by:

Europa League winners Manchester United is set to limit their summer signings to a handful of key players.

Manchester United has secured a spot in the Champions League next season thanks to their 2-0 victory over Ajax Amsterdam at the Friends Arena in the Europa League final.

However, Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho wants to enrich his team in terms of their front and defensive options moving forward, and has provided club executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward with a list of transfer targets.

“Ed Woodward has my list,” Mourinho said after the final against Ajax. “Now it’s up to him and the owners.”

On the other hand, team captain Wayne Rooney says that he has came to a decision on his future with Manchester United, and has “lots of offers” to consider after spending most of his time on the sidelines at Old Trafford this season.

Rooney, who played the role of a late substitute in the final against Ajax, may have effectively made his last appearance in a Manchester United jersey should the striker decides to moves on to find a team where he can play more regularly.

“There are lots of offers on the table, both in England and abroad, and that’s what I have to decide on,” Rooney said. “I’ve got some decisions to make now over the next few weeks so I will talk with my family and then I’ll decide.”

“I think I have to make a decision in terms of a football decision, and that’s what I’ll do, I’ll do that the next few weeks with my family while I’m away and as soon as I know what’s going on I’m sure you will.”

When asked if he has made up his mind regarding his future, he said: “More or less, yes. I still believe I could (play every game). If you’re asking me if I’m a better player now than I was 10 years ago then obviously I’m not but I still feel I’ve got other qualities that can help the team.”

Jose Mourinho: Premier League “doesn’t care” about Europe

Published by:

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho claimed that the Premier League does not allow concessions because they “doesn’t care” about helping teams in Europe.

The Red Devils play Crystal Palace in their last Premier League game this Sunday, just three days before their Europa League final against Ajax Amsterdam.

It is an important fixture against Ajax in Stockholm as the result would determine if Mourinho’s team gets a place in the Champions League next season.

Mourinho claimed that “in any country in the world,” the match against Crystal Palace at Old Trafford can be played on Saturday instead because it is meaningless for both clubs, with Palace having secured their own survival and United guaranteed a sixth place place finish.

However, it is a completely different case in England however as Mourinho said there had never been any concessions to clubs that go far in European competitions.

“We are sixth, Crystal Palace are safe, it doesn’t matter,” Mourinho said. “I think after the moment Crystal Palace beat Hull City and Hull City is relegated and Swansea is safe – in that moment, our match has to be Saturday. In any country in the world, it would be Saturday.”

“I am here already seven years and I never saw any detail of trying to care about the English teams involved in European competitions. I never saw that with Chelsea, I never saw that with Manchester United, I never saw that with Manchester City last year. It’s just a lost battle.”

As United approached the games ahead with an injury-depleted squad, Mourinho announced that he would play some of Nicky Butt’s academy youngsters.

“It’s frustrating for me,” he added. “I hope you don’t kill me when you see my team. I hope the fans at Old Trafford support the team, they forgive some naivety, they forgive some lack of confidence. And I hope that Big Sam [Allardyce] shows he’s a good friend and he goes slow. He tells to Zaha to go slow, he leaves Benteke at home. I hope he goes soft on us.”