Category Archives: UEFA Champions League

Major League Cup

Bayern Munich sacks head coach Carlo Ancelotti after defeat to PSG

Published by:

Bayern Munich have sacked Carlo Ancelotti after the German Champions Wednesday’s 3-0 defeat by Paris Saint-Germain at the Parc des Princes.

Ancelotti, who had been appointed to replace Pep Guardiola last summer, was dismissed after a meeting of the club’s board on Thursday despite leading Bayern to the Bundesliga title last season. – Cara Mendaftar Sbobet

“The performance of our team since the start of the season did not meet the expectations we put on them,” said Bayern chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. “The game in Paris clearly showed that we had to draw consequences. [Sporting director] Hasan Salihamidzic and I had an open and serious discussion with Carlo today and informed him of our decision.” – Cara Daftar Sbobet

“I would like to thank Carlo for his cooperation and regret what has happened. Carlo is my friend and will remain so, but we had to make a professional decision for the benefit of FC Bayern. I now expect the team to have a positive development and absolute performance, so we can reach our goals for this season.” – Bandar Bola

In the game against PSG, the Ligue 1 runners-up took the lead in only the second minute when Neymar swerved his way into the penalty area and teed up Dani Alves, with Kylian Mbappe then assisted both Edinson Cavani and Neymar after half-time. – Piala Dunia 2018

Mbappe also provided the assist for Neymar, tricking his way into the box in the 63rd minute before playing the ball across goal for the Brazilian to pounce from close range.

Rummenigge had quickly called for “consequences” following the loss at the Parc des Princes, which was the club’s heaviest defeat in the Champions League group stages for 21 years. “What we’ve seen tonight was not Bayern Munich,” he said.

Bayern, who were Bundesliga champions in each of the past five seasons, are also having a hard time maintaining their stranglehold over the German top flight title, losing at Hoffenheim in their third match and being held to a 2-2 draw at home to Wolfsburg last Friday.

They are currently third in the German top flight table, three points behind Borussia Dortmund, with four wins, one draw and one defeat from their first six matches.

Bayern will next play away to Hertha Berlin on Sunday in the Bundesliga.

Real condemns Dortmund to second straight Champions League loss

Published by:

Real Madrid defeated Borussia Dortmund by 3-1 to condemn the Bundesliga leaders to a second straight defeat after the hosts lost their opening game to Tottenham at a similar scoreline.

Gareth Bale opened Real’s account with a superb volley, before Cristiano Ronaldo, top scorer of last season’s edition of the tournament, converted Bale’s cutback four minutes after the break. – Cara Mendaftar Sbobet

While Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang stabbed home Gonzalo Castro’s cross to narrow the gap soon after Ronaldo’s goal, the Portuguese broke clear of the famed Yellow Wall and lashed home his 13th goal in his last seven Champions League games at the 79th minute. – Cara Daftar Sbobet

With Ronaldo’s second goal coming awkwardly late in the game, it proved to be too wide a gap for Dortmund to repeat their feat of last season, where they came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Real, who eventually went on to win the Champions League title. – Bandar Bola

Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane then said afterward: “We had chances. We had a spectacular game, a brilliant game. I am delighted for Ronaldo and Bale. The side worked hard. The midfield worked very hard. I am extremely happy because they played a tremendous game.” – Piala Dunia 2018

There is much to be glad for the Frenchman to be glad about too, as the result meant that they have the full six points after just two group stage games, ahead of a potentially challenging fixture against Dortmund in two weeks.

As for Dortmund, it meant a second straight defeat in the Champions League group stage for them — meaning that they are left pointless along with Apoel Nicosia at the bottom of Group H, who themselves were handed a separate defeat by Tottenham by 3-0 at home.

However, the Bundesliga giants would rue refereeing mistakes as they had looked to Bjorn Kuipers for a penalty early in the match when Maximilian Philipp’s cross appeared to hit Real skipper Sergio Ramos’s arm on the line, but the Dutch referee signalled play on.

Still, Ramos himself could also have widen the gap but twice missed from headers, first nodding over Toni Kroos’s cross before sending his second effort straight at Dortmund keeper Roman Burki.

Diego Costa completes return move to Atletico Madrid

Published by:

Chelsea striker Diego Costa has completed his £57m move to Atletico Madrid on Tuesday night.

Both Chelsea and the Spanish giants had agreed on terms last week, with the 28-year-old Spanish international having also passed his medical on Monday. – Cara Mendaftar Sbobet

However, he will not feature in the Champions League game between Chelsea and Atletico as he cannot be registered to play for the La Liga side until 1 January, when the club’s transfer window ban comes to an end. – Bandar Bola

The Brazil-born striker is expected to be at the stadium on Wednesday having attended the weekend league victory against Sevilla, and Blues coach Antonio Conte was asked about his strained relationship with the player. – Cara Daftar Sbobet

While Costa won two Premier League titles and the League Cup with Chelsea, he found himself exiled at Stamford Bridge over the summer after a dispute with a fitness coach which had followed reports of an offer from China that would have been worth £30m a year in salary. Additionally, he was informed via text message by Conte himself that he was not needed in the manager’s plans for this season and he spent much of August in his native Brazil.

“As I said before, I have no problem with Diego Costa,” the Italian said. “I said that we wish, for him, the best for the future. We want to thank him for the last season. But, I repeat, I have no problem with him.” – Piala Dunia 2018

Meanwhile, Belgian midfielder Eden Hazard, who is yet to start in the Premier League this season after recovering from a broken ankle he suffered in June could feature for Chelsea in the game. Hazard came off the bench against Leicester, Arsenal and Stoke this month and Conte is keen for him to exert his influence on the Champions League.

“Last season Eden played a really important season, played very well and he was very important for us in winning the league,” said the Blues manager. “Last season, he showed in every game great talent, to be a really good player, a top player.”

“This competition is very important for him, but I think it’s important for the team. It brings you to another level.”

“I think he (Hazard) has all the possibilities to do this. He’s a really top player. Now he’s totally fit and in contention for Wednesday’s game. I think it’s the right moment.”

Messi brace gives Barca perfect Champions League start

Published by:

Lionel Messi scored a brace against Juventus in a 3-0 win over last season’s Champions League finalists for a perfect start to FC Barcelona’s European campaign.

Messi opened the scoring on the last minute before the interval.With the ball clipped towards summer signing Ousmane Dembele who, back to goal, controlled and turned away from his markers. The pitch opened up before him and finding Messi to his left, Argentinian exchanged passes with Luis Suarez on the edge of the area before guiding the ball into the far corner.

Ivan Rakitic then scored Barca’s second after Messi’s shot was cleared off the line, with the Argentine then wrapping up victory with a superb left-footed goal from 20 yards.

It was not to be a night for Juve’s veteran keeper Gianluigi Buffon, who, despite equalling the Champions League record for most appearances by an Italian player with 109 (level with Paolo Maldini) had to suffer the ignominy of finally conceding against Messi, whom he held three clean sheets against.

This also marks a continuous perfect start for Barca to their new season, who now have won all four games played without conceding.

There was also icing to their cake as Juventus had been the team that knocked them out of Europe last season with a 3-0 aggregate score in the quarter finals, although the Italians were without six of the men who defeated them last season.

On top of that the Serie A champions had to play an injury depleted squad, with Giorgio Chiellini, Sami Khedira, Mario Mandzukic, Benedikt Howedes and Claudio Marchisio were all missing through injury.

Other key players such as Juan Cuadrado was suspended, and right-back De Sciglio was forced off with an injury in the first half, leaving Juve coach Massimiliano Allegri with a very mismatched side.

Still, there is much for Allegri to look ahead as Juve could back themselves to have too much for Olympiacos and Sporting Club in their upcoming group games, while they’ll also fancy their chances at home to Barca. After all, it’s only been barely half a year since Juventus so convincingly beat the Blaugrana en route to the final last season.