Category Archives: News

Indonesian goalie Choirul Huda dies after collision with teammate

Published by:

Choirul Huda, goalkeeper for the Liga 1 club Persela Lamongan, has died after a collision with a teammate during a league match.

Huda, 38 collided with his teammate and defender Ramon Rodrigues along with an opponent, Semen Pedang attacker Marcel Sacramento when he came off his line to challenge for the ball, and lost consciousness following the clash inside his penalty area.

He was quickly stretchered off the field and rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead upon arrival.

The match continued after the incident with Persela beating Semen Padang 2-0 in the Indonesian top-flight match, but club coach Aji Santoso confirmed after the game that Huda had sadly lost his life. Later, thousands of fans later attended a candlelit vigil to honour the goalkeeper, who made more than 500 league appearances for his only club.

Huda had played for Persela since 1999, and the club described him as “the Real Legend of Persela” in a tribute on Twitter.

In a statement from a doctor at the Dr Soegiri Lamongan Hospital posted on the official Persela website, Huda was described as having suffered a “traumatic collision” which led to a cardiac arrest.

It said that initial analysis revealed the impact was to the chest and lower jaw, resulting in the “possibility of chest trauma, head trauma and neck trauma”.

Dr Nugroho, a resident of the hospital added that the collision resulted in Huda “stopping breathing and [caused a] cardiac arrest”, and while a medical team attempted to revive him there were “no reflexes of signs of normal life” after an hour.

PSG president investigated in World Cup bribery case

Published by:

The Swiss attorney-general’s office (OAG) has opened criminal proceedings against Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi in connection to the awarding of World Cup media rights for 2026 and 2030.

Nasser al-Khelaifi, one of the most powerful figures in European and world football because of PSG’s and beIN’s Qatari backing and FIFA’s controversial vote for Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup, was named as the subject of investigation by OAG on Thursday. – Cara Mendaftar Sbobet

This follows an ongoing OAG investigation into the former FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke that began in March 2016 on grounds of “suspicion of various acts of criminal mismanagement”. – Cara Daftar Sbobet

Khelaifi was accused of bribing Valcke in connection with the award of TV rights for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups, as beIN Sports has bought from FIFA the rights to broadcast those tournaments to countries in the Middle East and north Africa, after findings obtained in the investigation against Valcke have led to a separate line of inquiry involving Al-Khelaifi, who is CEO of beIN Media Group. – Bandar Bola

Searches were carried out at beIN’s offices at Boulogne-Billancourt in Paris following a request from the OAG.

The sports broadcaster, of which Khelaifi is the chief executive as well as chairman, said in a statement: “beIN refutes all accusations made by OAG. The company will fully cooperate with the authorities and is confident as to the future developments of the investigation.” – Piala Dunia 2018

Valcke — who was interviewed on Thursday — is currently in the process of appealing against his 10-year ban from football at the Court of Arbitration for Sport after being found guilty of a series of breaches of FIFA’s code of ethics and was sacked in January 2016, though he has always denied any wrongdoing.

Carlo Ancelotti open for return to coaching by next season

Published by:

Carlo Ancelotti is open for a return to coaching but considers himself under a break before he does so.

Ancelotti, 58, had been sacked by Bayern Munich after the Bundesliga Champions suffered one of their worst defeats in Europe at the hands of Paris Saint-Germain.

However, the Italian remains open for a return to coaching in a top-flight football club, but only after taking a 10-month break. – Cara Mendaftar Sbobet

“I want to manage,” the Italian said. “Not this season, maybe next season (either) in the Premier League or at another club. The only think I want to do is to train.”

“I will rest for the next 10 months, so no other teams.” – Cara Daftar Sbobet

Amongst the factors that led to Ancelotti’s prompt dismissal from the helm of Bayern Munich was a rare dip of results in his managerial career. He faced accusations of losing the support of senior players from Bayern president Uli Hoeness, while winger Arjen Robben has been forced to refute suggestions that he was critical of the training methods of the ousted coach. – Bandar Bola

But as a coach who had managed other European giants such as Milan, Juventus, Chelsea, Real Madrid and PSG, it remains that Ancelotti still boasts an illustruous CV that links him with many potential suitors. – Piala Dunia 2018

Amongst them include Everton and West Ham, as their respective coaches Ronald Koeman and Slaven Bilic have seen their positions being questioned on the back of disappointing starts to 2017-18.

Ancelotti, also long described as an admirer of Arsenal, would also possibly welcome the opportunity to work at Emirates Stadium if Arsene Wenger is ever moved through the exits.

Bookmakers mistakenly adds late Ugo Ehiogu in odds for Birmingham post

Published by:

A bookmaker has apologized for mistakenly offering odds for a deceased to take up the position as coach of Birmingham City after the dismissal of Harry Redknapp last Saturday.

Ugo Ehiogu, a former centre-back who made more than 200 appearances for Aston Villa between 1991 and 2000 and then spent seven years at Middlesbrough, had four England caps under his name.

He passed away in April at the age of 44 following a cardiac arrest on 20 April at Tottenham’s training ground, where he worked as a coach with their under-23 side.

Gambling firm Paddy Powers briefly advertised odds of 66-1 on ex-Aston Villa and England defender Ugo Ehiogu taking charge of the Championship club, and his inclusion provoked anger on social media.

Tom Wainwright said it was “sick” that punters could bet on the former centre-back, while David Kelly said it was “pretty poor taste”.

Replying to Twitter users individually, Paddy Power — which also offered odds of 2,500/1 on Brummie rocker Ozzy Osbourne replacing Redknapp — has apologised for a “genuine error”.

The company later issued a statement to the Press Association, saying: “This was a genuine error, a trader re-used an old market as a template for this one, and didn’t notice that Mr Ehiogu was included. Obviously, that was a mistake, one which was rectified as soon as it was spotted, within minutes.”

A spokesman said customers were able to put money on Ehiogu for “less than five minutes” before the error was discovered, adding that nobody actually placed that particular bet.

“We would like to apologise to Mr Ehiogu’s family if they did see the tweet,” he said. “It was obviously a mistake and no offence was meant.”