Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes has ruled out a possible move for Arturo Vidal to Chelsea and insisted that the Chilean international will not be switching sides in the January transfer window.
The Blues have reportedly lined up a £33 million move for Vidal, with team manager Antonio Conte — who won three successive Serie A titles with Vidal at Juventus — has spoken in glowing terms of the 30-year-old in recent weeks and in December admitted: “I’d always want him with me” and that Vidal was “one of the best in the world”.
However, speaking to the assembled press in Doha on Saturday, Heynckes quashed rumours linking the midfielder Arturo Vidal with a January transfer, even going further to insist that Bayern will not see the sale of any player within the month.
“There is no contact between Chelsea and Bayern Munich,” Heynckes said. “We will not sell Arturo Vidal or any other player, for that matter, during the winter break.”
Vidal has featured in all but one of Bayern’s 16 games since Heynckes took charge of Bayern in early October, scoring in four successive matches between Bundesliga Matchdays 12-15.
The Chilean also previously played under Heynckes at Bayer Leverkusen prior to joining Juventus in 2011, although he now only has 18 months remaining on his current deal with the defending German champions.
Bayern are currently in Doha spending some of the mid-season break in Qatar and will play Al Ahli in a friendly match later on Saturday. Heynckes does not expect Robert Lewandowski or Mats Hummels to be involved due to minor injuries but could give a start to new signing Sandro Wagner, who joined from Hoffenheim on January 1.
“My players have been really excited to travel to Qatar. It’s great fun with the players,” he said. “Wagner has been well received. He can become an important player. Before, we had no alternative to Lewandowski.”