Liverpool appeal against Sadio Mane ban rejected by FA

The Football Association has announced that the three-match suspension of Liverpool’s Sadio Mane will be sustained for his red card at Manchester City after his claim of excessive punishment was rejected.

Mane was sent off for raising his foot in a challenge with the City goalkeeper Ederson in the first half of Liverpool’s 5-0 Premier League defeat on Saturday, with the Senegalese international catching Ederson in the face on the edge of City’s penalty area, and the 25-year-old was shown a straight red card by the referee Jon Moss.

Ederson was subsequently quickly taken off the pitch on a stretcher with facial injuries following the incident in the first half. Although he returned to watch the final stages of his side’s victory, a photograph released since has shown eight stitches in wounds on the side of his face.

The Brazilian was able to return to the City bench in the second half, and trained — wearing protective head gear — on Tuesday before Wednesday’s Champions League match at Feyenoord, and was also included in the squad for the match.

Reds manager Jurgen Klopp said initially that it would be a waste of time to appeal against the sentence, albeit adding that Mane had been unlucky to be given the straight red at the Etihad.

“It would be another waste of time, like the game today,” he said. “I think everyone knows [Mane] didn’t see the goalie. There was not one second he looks on the goalie. He just wanted to get the ball as soon as possible.”

“Hopefully the goalie is not seriously injured. Sadio is very upset. We couldn’t keep him – he was shocked about the situation. I am sure also about the decision.”

The sustaining of the sentence meant that Mane will miss the home league game against Burnley on 16 September, as well as two trips to Leicester City — the League Cup tie on 19 September and the Premier League match four days later.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *