Daily Archives: September 8, 2017

Kylian Mbappe: I turned down Manchester City, not Pep Guardiola

Published by:

French striker Kylian Mbappe revealed that he turned down a possible move to Manchester City before he left Monaco for Ligue 1 rivals Paris Saint-Germain.

Mbappe, 18, revealed that he met with Guardiola at a time when he was still intent on staying at Monaco and was impressed by the Spaniard’s passion for the game, but he opted against joining forces with the Premier League club rather than the manager.

“When the season finished in May, my idea was to stay. There was not another possibility in my head,” Mbappe told L’Equipe.

“When I met with some coaches, I told them, and they can confirm, that my priority is Monaco. And if Monaco does what I expect, I wouldn’t want to leave. After that, something happened and I changed my position.”

“I didn’t say no to him [Guardiola] but I said no to Manchester City. When I saw him, we talked about tactics, how he could use me. That’s really a coach that feels football.”

“He has won everywhere and transmits a passion to you. I love coaches that just talk about football. He’s like the [PSG] coach [Unai] Emery.”

Over the summer following a successful debut season, Mbappe was targeted by European elite clubs in the likes of Real Madrid, Arsenal and City before joining PSG on an initial loan move that is expected to be made permanent at the end of the season for €180 million.

The France international was expected to head to Real Madrid for much of the window, but instead opted for a loan move to PSG as he believed there would be greater opportunities for valuable minutes on the pitch.

“Here, I can continue to progress and play. What I want is to play, so you go to a club where you can do that,” Mbappe added. “I’m French and I choose a French team. People must be happy to keep a French player in the league.”

Ronald Koeman “disappointed” over Wayne Rooney drink-driving charge

Published by:

Everton coach Ronald Koeman said that he was “very disappointed” by the drink-driving charges against Wayne Rooney last week, but intends to use his striker against Tottenham Hotspur at Goodison Park.

“I like to have discipline in my team, on the pitch and off the pitch,” the Dutchman said. “I am very disappointed by this situation regarding Wayne. We spoke on Tuesday and the chairman, Bill Kenwright, has also spoken to Wayne about it.”

“In line with any disciplinary matter this will be dealt with internally at an appropriate time and that is all I have to say about the case. He will play this Saturday. If I see that Wayne is not in a physical or mental condition to play, then he won’t play.”

Rooney, 31, is is due to appear at Stockport Magistrates’ Court on 18 September, a day after he is expected to make his first return to Manchester United since rejoining Everton this summer.

Koeman was also pleased with the other transfer business that Everton has conducted in the summer window with the recruitment of Gylfi Sigurdsson, Jordan Pickford, Sandro Ramirez, Davy Klaassen and Nikola Vlasic as well as Rooney, although he did not deny his disappointment at not being able to bring in a new striker as a direct replacement for Romelu Lukaku.

Thus far in the season Rooney has scored two goals and provided one assist in seven games for the Toffees so far this season.

England manager Gareth Southgate had offer him a place in the international squad for games against Malta and Slovakia, but Rooney, who scored 53 times in 119 games for his country, decided to take the opportunity to end his international career instead.

Prediction:

Everton 0 — 2 Tottenham

FIFA orders replay of CAF qualifier following referee lifetime ban

Published by:

FIFA has ordered a qualifier rematch between Senegal and South Africa after the referee awarded a penalty for a nonexistent handball and was banned for life for match manipulation.

The questionable CAF qualifier, won by South Africa by 2-1 in November last year, will be replayed this November on a date still to be decided.

FIFA says that the body made the decision to order a replay after the Court of Arbitration for Sport ( upheld the life ban sentenced upon the referee in question, Joseph Lamptey of Ghana.

Initially, FIFA had found Lamptey guilty of breaching the rule relating to “unlawfully influencing match results” with the awarding of a penalty to the host nation.

Lamptey, who also officiated at the Rio Olympics last year, declined to comment at the time of his original ban, which came about after a complaint from the Senegal Football Federation.

He had held on to his decision against the Senegal defender Kalidou Koulibaly despite vehement protests from the Senegalese team during the game in Polokwane, South Africa, and despite replays clearly showing the ball struck Koulibaly’s knee and dropped to the ground.

South Africa scored the penalty and went on to win the qualifier for their only victory so far in the final round of qualifiers in Africa. A different result could have a big impact on the South Africa-Senegal group, as Senegal trail the joint-leaders Burkina Faso and Cape Verde by a point.

Additionally, both Senegal and South Africa are currently third and fourth respectively in Africa’s Group D behind Burkina Faso and Cape Verde Islands. Only the top team qualifies for next year’s finals in Russia.