Daily Archives: May 26, 2017

Marco Silva resigns as Hull City manager following relegation

Published by:

Marco Silva has resigned his post as manager of Hull City after the Tigers were relegated to the Championship next season.

His coaching staff, which includes assistant head coach Joao Pedro Sousa, first team coach Goncalo Pedro and goalkeeping coach Hugo Oliveira have also left the club.

Silva’s record with Hull would culminate in 8 wins, 3 draws and 11 defeats, with their relegation confirmed after a 4-0 defeat by Crystal Palace.

Silva, who previously managed clubs such as Estoril, Sporting Lisbon and Olympiakos manager has been linked with Southampton and Watford (after the dismissal of Walter Mazzarri), but said that he had not received an offer from the Saints or the Hornets or any other club in the Premier League.

However, rumours added that Palace is also interested in Silva following the departure of Sam Allardyce with the impact he made under difficult circumstances since arriving at Hull and had contacted his representatives to convey their interest.

When Hull was relegated in the penultimate week of the season, Silva said at the time: “It’s my goal as a manager to work in the Premier League. Everyone knows when you have the chance to work in the Premier League, you don’t want to work in Championship, it’s normal.”

The 39-year old Portuguese had joined the club in place of Mike Phelan in January on a deal until the end of the season but was unable to help Hull survive relegation from the Premier League.

Hull said in a statement that they were “disappointed” by the departure of a “firm fans’ favourite”, and that Silva “will be forever remembered for his efforts to maintain our Premier League status”.

But it also added: “Unfortunately, after considering his future, he (Silva) has chosen to leave in order to further his career.”

 

Manchester United: Europa League winners to limit summer signings

Published by:

Europa League winners Manchester United is set to limit their summer signings to a handful of key players.

Manchester United has secured a spot in the Champions League next season thanks to their 2-0 victory over Ajax Amsterdam at the Friends Arena in the Europa League final.

However, Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho wants to enrich his team in terms of their front and defensive options moving forward, and has provided club executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward with a list of transfer targets.

“Ed Woodward has my list,” Mourinho said after the final against Ajax. “Now it’s up to him and the owners.”

On the other hand, team captain Wayne Rooney says that he has came to a decision on his future with Manchester United, and has “lots of offers” to consider after spending most of his time on the sidelines at Old Trafford this season.

Rooney, who played the role of a late substitute in the final against Ajax, may have effectively made his last appearance in a Manchester United jersey should the striker decides to moves on to find a team where he can play more regularly.

“There are lots of offers on the table, both in England and abroad, and that’s what I have to decide on,” Rooney said. “I’ve got some decisions to make now over the next few weeks so I will talk with my family and then I’ll decide.”

“I think I have to make a decision in terms of a football decision, and that’s what I’ll do, I’ll do that the next few weeks with my family while I’m away and as soon as I know what’s going on I’m sure you will.”

When asked if he has made up his mind regarding his future, he said: “More or less, yes. I still believe I could (play every game). If you’re asking me if I’m a better player now than I was 10 years ago then obviously I’m not but I still feel I’ve got other qualities that can help the team.”

Chris Coleman states focus on upcoming World Cup qualifiers

Published by:

Wales coach Chris Coleman said that his focus is on guiding his nation through the qualifiers for Russia 2018 World Cup and not his long-term future.

Coleman, 46, has a contract extending until after the 2018 World Cup but has been linked with the immediate vacancy at Crystal Palace after hinting that he would leave if Wales loses ground in the qualifiers.

Wales are currently third in Group D of the European qualifiers, four points behind leaders Serbia whom they will play against in their next qualifier on 11 June. They are also without suspended players Gareth Bale and Neil Taylor, and will be reduced to 23 for the trip to Belgrade.

“I said if it comes to a point and we cannot affect our future, I need to sit down with the powers that be,” he said.

However, when asked if he was angled for a return to his former club Crystal Palace, Coleman, who recently received an OBE at Buckhingham Palace joked: “I would love to go back to the Palace — I am not sure Prince Charles is just ready for me yet.”

“All I care about now is Wales. I don’t think about after Serbia. I cannot afford to think past one game.”

“Lots of things have been said on the back of comments I said at the start of the campaign when I signed a new contract. That hasn’t happened yet.”

“But honestly I cannot go into a game of football thinking ‘if we lose’ because then I will have lost, we will have lost and I have never thought like that.”

“When it comes that we cannot (qualify) — if it comes that we cannot — then there is a conversation to be had. But I think we will. I am confident we will.”

“I know it’s a huge task for us. I still have the same excitement to do the job. I still have the same belief in the players and the team.”