Daily Archives: April 28, 2017

Bayern Munich signs Kingsley Coman on permanent deal

Published by:

FC Bayern Munich has reportedly triggered their option to sign Juventus loanee Kingsley Coman on a permanent basis.

Coman, 20, scored eight goals in 58 games for the Bundesliga champions, including one against Juventus last season that helped Bayern ease past the Italian champions in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

The Frenchman joined Bayern on a two-year loan deal in 2015, and, with the deal close to expiring this month, will sign on to the club in a permanent deal.

But even before going on to win the domestic treble with Bayern last season, Coman has already gathered a significant number of accolades which include league titles with Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus as well as finishing as runners-up at Euro 2016.

“He is a player with huge potential,” Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said of Coman. “Unfortunately he had problems following the European Championship and was injured for three months.”

“However, he has the talent and the potential to do great things. He is one of the players we are relying on in the future. We are convinced he will make his mark and that is why we have decided to sign him.”

Bayern coach Carlo Ancelotti had already confirmed last November that the club intended to sign Coman on a permanent basis having secured an option to do that for €21 million on the loan deal. Juventus has also confirmed that the fee is to be paid in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 financial years.

“Coman’s future is with Bayern,” he said at the time. “We are all counting a lot on him. There’s no chance of him returning to Juve.”

FC Barcelona to report Malaga president over Twitter comment

Published by:

FC Barcelona will be reporting Malaga president Abdullah Al-Thani to Spain’s sports authorities for his comments made on Twitter.

The incident began with a Barcelona fan sending a message to Thani on Twitter asking if Malaga could do them a favour in the La Liga title race and beat Real Madrid when both teams meet on the final day of the season.

Thani replied, in Arabic: “With the help of Allah we will beat them on the pitch, but the scum of Catalonia will not smell the championship after telling lies about coach Míchel.”

In an interview earlier this week, Míchel was reminded of the former Tenerife coach Jorge Valdano, a former Real Madrid player whose side delivered victories over his old club that helped Barcelona win the title in both 1992 and 1993.

Míchel, who spent 20 years with Madrid as a youth and senior player, responded: “The difference between Valdano and me is that I’m much more of a Madridista.”

After Thani’s tweet, Barca has issued an official statement saying that the Thani’s tweet would be reported to governing authorities.

“FC Barcelona expresses its rejection and indignation at the contents of a tweet published by the president of Malaga CF, Abdullah al-Thani, with comments which violate the principles of fair play, ethics and legality that should govern sports competition,” the club statement read.

“For this reason, the club will report this case to the anti-violence committee of the national sports council, and will refer the matter to the competition committee of the Royal Spanish Football Federation and the La Liga integrity department.”

However, Spanish media later reported a claim from Thani that he was referring to the Catalan media rather than to Barcelona.

Another statement in Arabic on his Twitter account was reported by AS as saying: “These words were directed towards the Catalan press, who said that Michel would throw the game. It is unacceptable, we don’t throw games. They should plead forgiveness for the things they have said about him.”

France investigating bids for 2018 and 2022 World Cups

Published by:

French prosecutors are investigating potential corruption behind the FIFA’s vote for Russia and Qatar to respectively host the 2018 and 2022 World Cup finals.

France’s National Public Prosecutor’s Office began examining the bid to award the tournaments to both countries last year.

The investigation by the Parquet National Financier (PNF) meant there are now criminal investigations in at least three countries into the World Cup vote.

The US criminal proceedings headed by the Department of Justice have said their investigation includes the vote, as has the Swiss attorney general, Michael Lauber, whose office said last February it was examining 152 reports of suspicious financial activity relating to the process. No criminal investigations relating to the 2010 vote have yet begun.

Sources said that investigators have interviewed Sepp Blatter, who was the FIFA president at the time of the controversial December 2010 vote by a majority of the executive committee.

On the other hand, Michel Platini, the then UEFA president whose decision to cast his vote for Qatar was crucial to the Gulf state winning a majority vote, has not been interviewed.

Blatter has always denied any wrongdoing relating to the World Cup vote, or any other aspect of his 17-year tenure as the FIFA president, and has insisted he will not be charged with any criminal offences.

He also claimed that he wanted and lobbied for the 2022 World Cup to be hosted by the US, and has criticised Platini for changing his vote in favour of Qatar.