Serie A champions Juventus has refuse to entertain Manchester City’s bid for their star defender Leonardo Bonucci.
The Italian centre-back was heavily linked with a move to The Etihad before new manager Pep Guardiola signed John Stones for £47.5 million last month.Guardiola himself had described Bonucci as “one of my favourite ever players” earlier this year.
Now, amidst concerns for City captain Vincent Kompany’s fitness, reports that link the club with a move for the 29-year-old had resurfaced.
But speaking ahead of Juventus’ game against Palermo on Sunday, Juventus club director Giuseppe Marotta claimed that there were no contact from Manchester City.
“No, that’s not what I heard,” he said. “Right now, no players would be transferable anyway and we haven’t received any offers.”
Bouncci had also admitted previously that he could be tempted by a transfer to City especially after Guardiola’s arrival at the Etihad.
“I did give it some thought,” he said. “Guardiola’s insistence destabilised me a little. I did not speak to Pep directly, it was just an exchange of thoughts with my agent.”
“It was tempting, but I decided to follow my heart in the end.”