Pic (left:) Menez tangles with Didier Ndong, (right:) Menez leave the pitch with medics in tow.
Bordeaux striker Jeremy Menez has underwent surgery after losing part of the top of his right year in his debut for the French Ligue 1 club.
Mene, 29, joined Bordeaux from AC Milan just three days before the game.
He went to the ground following an air battle with Lorient midfielder Didier Ndong 15 minutes into the match. Ndong’s left foot then accidentally made contact with Menez’s ear. Menez was taken off the pitch immediately.
“Jeremy was operated on under local anaesthesia on Wednesday night to sew up his ear,” Bordeaux said after the game.
“We wish a speedy recovery to our player and hope to see him back soon.”
Ndong, a Gabon international, apologised for the injury inflicted on Menez, saying it was “absolutely unintentional”.
“I apologise to Jeremy Menez, and to Bordeaux. I’m giving [Menez] my full support over the next few days and hopefully I will see him back in Ligue 1 action soon,” he said in a statement posted on Lorient’s website.
Bordeaux, who won 3-1, said no date had been set for the 29-year-old Menez’s return. The club’s first league game is on 13 August against St Étienne.
Menez last played for France in 2013 and has 24 caps. He signed a three-year deal with Bordeaux after two seasons in the Serie A, having scored 18 goals in 43 league matches for Milan. He has also played for Monaco, Roma and Paris Saint-Germain previously.